Jane

by April Lindner



Cover Beauty Score: 10 out of 10
Goodreads Score: 2 out of 5

Plot Blurb: A modern retelling of Jane Eyre, we follow the story of Jane Moore who drops out of college following her parents' deaths and takes a job as a nanny for a famous rockstar, Nico Rathburn. Jane becomes closer and closer with Nico and secrets from his past surface, forcing her to make a decision that will change her life.

My Reaction: Man, I wanted this one to be good. I actually found this book on the employee recommendations shelf at Barnes and Noble. Anyone who knows me knows that Jane Eyre is my favorite classic novel - it has slowly been vying for a position against Pride and Prejudice for a solid decade now. So when I saw a book that was a retelling of one of my favorite stories in modern times with a rockstar Mr. Rochester and a freaking awesome cover? Color me sold!

Unfortunately, just like the beguiling charms of Miss Blanche Ingram, Lindner's Jane left me feeling underwhelmed.

When I think of Jane Eyre, I think of a dark story. One that is poignant and solid and nearly tangible in its realness. Her internal struggle throughout the original story is one of importance and personal growth that allows the story to hold the weight it does.

Jane Moore, on the other hand, gives us a look into her life that is loose and poorly translated to modern times. Lindner, at least, can write efficiently enough to not force me to put the book down. But again, the prose wasn't really creating life of its own, either. Lindner essentially took my favorite characters (which are arguably some of the best examples of complex characterization in literature), and stripped them down until they were flatter than a French crepe.

Did I finish the book? Yeah, I did. Although I think it was out of loyalty to Eyre and Rochester that I did so. Ultimately this reincarnation of my favorite novel just couldn't live up to its hype. I felt like I just saw a movie adaptation that ripped the original power of the story away and left a crude imitation in its wake.

Although the cover is admittedly beautiful and haunting and slightly modern and feminine, the book in no way compares to that. Alas... another case of "Jessica got fooled by the cover." If you want to read this one, go ahead. But please please PLEASE promise me you'll also read Jane Eyre. This one will creep you out and make you think that Rochester is just some creepy pedophile that uses his fame to take advantage of an innocent girl in his employment (a la 50 Shades).

In the mean time, at least it will look pretty sitting on my bookshelf.

No comments:

Post a Comment