The Immortal Oxford Comma

So I hope that many of you can tell where I am going with this one. The Oxford comma has long been a debate amongst my peers. It is definitely something I feel strongly about, as any English Lit major will tell you, I'm sure. No matter who are, or what you majored in, you undoubtedly have an opinion on the topic as well.

So what is the Oxford comma, some of you may ask? Perhaps it has been a while since you've been exposed to the finer aspects of grammatical punctuation. In very simple terms, the Oxford comma is a comma that is inserted before the word 'and' at the end of a list. Some people would even refer to this comma as optional. Optional? Optional? How completely ridiculous is that?!

Ok, so I guess in terms of being gramatically correct, it could be classified as optional. But, my friends, you should never consider this little dandy an optional addition to your listing.

Why? I hear you asking. Why should I bother cluttering up my beautiful sentence with a loud and ghastly extra comma? It just gets in the way and clogs up my pretty clean list!

I'm about to tell you why, dear reader. For emphasis, I will include a lovely image that I found floating around on the internet. I am positive that this info-graphic will do more justice to my argument than anything else. Feast your eyes:

Holy guacamole, does that comma make a difference? Yes. Yes it most certainly does.

Why sure, we could expect the average reader to rely on common sense and realize that JFK and Stalin exist separately from the strippers, but as we all know, the average reader likes things like 50 Shades of Gray.

So for the sake of humanity, I implore you to realize the benefit of the Oxford comma. Go out and spread the good news of your conversion, if you have been. Together we can finally beat down this argument until the debate no longer even exists.

Hey. I can dream, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment