Stardust

by Neil Gaiman




Cover Beauty Score: 10 out of 10
Goodreads Score: 4 out of 5

Plot Blurb: We follow the story of Tristran Thorne, a half human half fairy boy that goes to a magical world connected to ours through a wall in his little English town in order to find and bring back a fallen star. One he gets to the other realm, he realizes things aren't as simple as all that, and that the star is actually a headstrong girl named Yvaine. Trying to get her back home to give to the girl he's infatuated with, Tristran and Yvaine encounter all sorts of magical creatures and curses and obstacles, bringing them closer together and teaching Tristran a thing or two about being a hero.

My Reaction: So this book had a lot to live up to, because I'm completely in love with the movie version. If you haven't seen it, you definitely need to! That being said, this book is fairly different from the movie version, which I have to say, I didn't expect at all. However, as you can see from the nice rating I gave it, it was fabulous. I would expect little else from Neil Gaiman, though. He's a phenomenal writer and it definitely shows through in his work. His prose shines through in a simplistic way that reminds me somewhat of a whimsical Earnest Hemingway (if Hemingway wrote fantasy adventures).

This book is dark in the way that all realistic fairy tales should be - with the proper about of gruesome details and intricate myth-building that is necessary. The bit about the unicorn was particularly fabulous! It feels as though the world Gaiman created is tangible... the fact that it runs alongside our world makes it feel near. As though the book is somewhat like an old English text or something.

You certainly need to read the book and watch the movie, both, as they compliment each other well. I'm quite certain that my library has this book in the YA section, although I would argue that it should be firmly adult Fantasy. There are very mature themes and the writing is stellar - dark and whimsically foreboding. When you watch the movie, in comparison, it is a fun and magical adventure akin to a Disney storyline. Gaiman's book leans more towards Grimm mixed with Game of Thrones.

Overall? Go read it! It's certainly unlike most of the books I read on a daily basis, but it is well worth your time and attention. Come on... live a little and switch it up! You'll be glad you did :-)

4 comments:

  1. Oh my god! I am in love with this book. This book is one of the best there is. I love all Neil Gaiman books and Stardust is what introduced me to him. I watched the movie before reading the book too. The movie was so beautiful. I can watch it over and over again and will never get bored of it. It does feels like an old english text by the feels and the settings of the story. Most of Gaiman's books are shelved in YA but are more suitable in the Adult section. Gaiman is surely the best in writing a story that are both airy and dark in the same time. He is truly marvelous. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with you - they are darker and the writing is very sophisticated... so much so that I raise a brow at the YA category. But a part of me thinks that they - maybe some kids will get some good exposure to some amazing literature. :-)

      Delete
  2. I, for some very odd reason, haven't read anything from Neil Gaiman yet! I believe I own The Ocean At The End Of The Lane, and this cover is beautiful enough to push me to make the purchase! (Yes I'm a cover whore, and am a victim of a cover-buy lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Don't even get me started on how much of a cover whore I am... it's a condition. I will literally spend more money on a book if it's pretty.

      Delete