Cress

by Marissa Meyer



Cover Beauty Score: 7 out of 10
Goodreads Score: 5 out of 5

Plot Blurb: Picking up where book 2 left off (Scarlet - read that review by clicking here), we get to finally follow the story of Cress, that charming little computer hacker from Cinder. A modern take on the Rapunzel tale, Cress has been kept in a satellite orbiting earth for 7 years, acting as the evil Lunar queen's go-to hacker and computer aficionado. Convincing the gang (lead by Cinder) to rescue her is simple until it all goes wrong. The crew has to get past the obstacles and figure out a way to stop the Royal Wedding before the Earth really becomes doomed by Queen Levana's rule.

My Reaction: So I just read that book in under 24 hours. Thankfully after enjoying Scarlet so much, I was prepared to be in love with this one. And it didn't disappoint! Cress was an adorable character with a lot of gumption of her own, despite her sheltered existence and rather sheepish personality. You root for Cress from page one and just thinking about her hooking up with the vain and in-your-face Thorne has me grinning from ear to ear. I just knew from the idea itself that this was a match made in entertainment heaven.

I'm amazed at Meyer's ability to really create unique characters. I mean, these women are all their own individuals interacting with their own partners and each other with a talent of writing that I haven't seen in a while. I think it's difficult to establish these real, likeable people and have them all be so different at the same time.

Cress and Thorne. I mean, I can't even describe the smiles I got from these two. I have enjoyed Thorne's easy banter and humor from the first time I read his lines, and boy do they work playing off of Cress' sentimentality and naive eagerness. I'm sure I'm not the only one that was rooting for that "before death" kiss... I mean... is it hot in here? I think I need to go fan myself a bit...

And Scarlet! Poor Scarlet! WOLF!!! My two favorites have been thrown for a loop and it nearly breaks my heart! This bit right here:
She’s my alpha.
Like the star?
What star?
In a constellation, the brightest star is called the alpha. I thought maybe you meant that she’s…like…your brightest star.
Yes. Exactly like that.
I mean... it makes me want to cry all over again!!!! The feels!!

All plot details aside - I love the style of writing that Meyer uses. It's very theatrical, in the sense that it's almost like watching a movie. This is so difficult to accomplish in a readable way, but she kills at it! And I really think that dialogue makes or breaks a book... if she decides to quite novels, I think Meyer has a credible future in screenwriting. 

We finally get to see Cinder take up some responsibility in a real way, which is gratifying in and of itself. And she FINALLY gets back together with Kai. I mean, that is why I picked up book 2 even though I wasn't really into their relationship... I just wanted to see it through. And I'm so glad I did because I never would have found Scarlet and Cress.

Meyer has found her niche and I, for one, will by buying book 4 when it comes out next year.

2 comments:

  1. This series is a favourite of mine. I love all these characters and Thorne and Cress really made me laugh so much it hurt - Cress for being so naive, Thorne for being so full of himself (all in the best way).
    I can't wait for 'Winter', I really really can't wait to see how this series ends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I love being excited for new books!

      Delete