Cinder

by Marissa Meyer


















Cover Beauty Score: 5 out of 10
Goodreads Score: 3 out of 5

Plot Blurb: Set in futuristic Beijing, a girl named Cinder, who also happens to be a cyborg, runs a repair shop in the slums and supports her spoiled step/adoptive mother and two step sisters. A unique take on the Cinderella fairy tale, obviously there's a prince of Beijing (who is also kind of prince of the world) that meets her and lovey dovey feelings ensue... along with quite a bit of darkness and sci-fi gore, but in a good way! Cinder is suddenly the key to curing an incurable disease that has plagued the world for years... but she fears it may cost her life. She also learns some pretty big things about her past (which she can't remember) along the way.

My Reaction: I was a little bit prepared to dislike this book, honestly. Although I've seen it taunting me from the bestseller shelf for quite a while, I've been resisting trying it out for the mere reason that I felt the cyborg thing would be a bit cheesy. But Marissa Meyer really followed through and gave me a good story and likeable character to read... it's a very refreshing take on a good story (I mean, who doesn't like Cinderella?)

Did it flounder a bit at times? Yes. Was it a bit Twilight reminiscent in its juvenile simplistic writing? Certainly. But that's not to say I didn't enjoy it! I read that puppy in like 1.5 days because I just wanted to get to the good stuff. Although I found Kai (the prince) to be a very admirable character, he was a bit too tame for my taste. I'm excited to read the other books where I hope I'll see a little more characterization for him. While I found the romance quaint, it didn't make jump up and down on my couch like a lunatic, which is really what I quite like in a book.

Did I just buy the second one in the series, though? Yes. Yes I did. It was fun!

And can we discuss for a second how Sailor Moon this book is? As if having a princess exiled from the moon was bad enough... naming her Selene? Selene... Serena... see where I'm going with this? And then she is in love with the prince of the earth? You might as well have just been honest that this is Sailor Moon fan fiction. Not that I don't enjoy the nod to the best anime ever created - I'm a bona fide Sailor Moon buff... nobody loves the moon kingdom as much as this gal! I was just waiting for Cinder to throw her cyborg-y hand up in the air and shout "MOON PRISM POWER!"

Sadly, this never happened. More's the pity.

No comments:

Post a Comment