Epic Fail

the title of this book pretty much is a self definition


















Cover Beauty Score: 3 out of 10
Goodreads Score: 1 out of 5

Plot Blurb: A modern adaptation of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. Follows the story of Elise Benton and her family as they move to L.A. and she attends a new prep school (where her mom happens to get a job as the principal). Enter Derek Edwards, the son of a super high profile actress and a total douche (standing in as the resident Darcy). Following the typical Austen plot, the book re-imagines the situations to fit a high school environment in today's time.

My reaction: This book makes me worry about kids these days. Perhaps this is a pitfall of YA books... the fact that many of them are written so poorly. I swear that the books I fell in love with in my day were written better. Why did I read this book? I don't often go for a simple YA romance, but I had just been to see Austenland in the theatre last week and was in the mood for a P&P remake. I really didn't think this did the original story much justice. I feel like the author should have paralleled the events more closely, because it really did take away from the impact of the characters.

Was Darcy..er.. Derek as douchey? Not really, and this is where I think the book was really lacking. In P&P he really is a dick. I mean seriously. He sets out to destroy Bingley and Jane's relationship, but in this book that whole situation was reduced to a simple misunderstanding. In fact, it's passed off on another character entirely! Derek never did anything really wrong and therefore never had to atone for anything... therefore his character never saw any true development from the beginning to the ending of the story.

And did Coke have a plug in this book? How many times can the characters drink it. I think there's even one scene where they like seriously worship it. It was strange, to say the least.

So overall, I gave this book a poor rating. As a standalone story for love obsessed teenage girls that never get into trouble or do anything bad? Sure, I guess it can work. Although I would hope their literary taste develops as they get older. But if we're evaluating this based on an Austen adaptation? That's where it gets crappy for me. And it never got better.

And wishing on an airplane? Really? I think I just vomited a little in my mouth. Probably at the same time that Jane Austen rolled over in her grave.


No comments:

Post a Comment