Across the Universe

Wow. Get ready for a painful review. This one's a doozy.

















Cover Beauty Score: 8 out of 10
Goodreads Score: 1 out of 5

Plot Blurb: This girl named Amy joins up with her parents on some intergalactic mission to colonize a perfect world, starting the book off as she is frozen in a frozen sleep (obviously typical nowadays of any future long distance travel). She doesn't really want to go, but has to anyways to be with her family. Elder is the other main character, a boy that is born on the ship to keep order and become the "elder" or leader of the population that keeps the ship running throughout the years that the frozen people are sleeping. Suddenly someone starts killing off the frozens and/or waking them up. Amy is woken up way too early and she and Elder have to band together to figure out who is killing everybody.

My reaction: How does some of this dribble get published? I mean seriously. I read this book because of the gorgeous cover- let's face it, I'm a sucker for beautiful purples and pretty stars. I was also going through my dystopian faze and was excited for a unique space themed romance YA. This writing was passable, at best, and I felt like I was reading something written by a middleschooler. That being said, it got a 3.8 out of 5 on goodreads overall, so somebody has to have a taste for this writing, I suppose. Let's ignore the fact that it bounces back and forth between Amy and Elder's povs, but I just couldn't get into the voice, if it was something the author was going for on purpose.

Both of the characters were whiny and underdeveloped from the start, and I have to say that I found the romance lacking in every department. The whole flower thing? I mean, come on! I gave this one a chance, I really did. I tried to get past the predictability of the thing, but I just couldn't soldier through it enough for it to redeem itself (if it ever manages to do so). Therefore, I have to admit that I stopped reading at the halfway mark.

Overall, if you find yourself siding with my opinions on the majority of books then I certainly warn you away from this one. Go spend your money on something with more talent. You certainly won't find it with this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment