The Iron King - Iron Fey Series

So today's review comes from a book I read a while ago, but I'm currently in the middle of the second book in the series. I read The Iron King by Julie Kagawa about two months ago...


















Cover Beauty Score: 8 out of 10
Good Reads Stars: 3 out of 5



Plot Blurb: Follows the story of a girl, Meghan Chase, who is bored with her life (and honestly I found her life in the beginning pretty boring) and she has plans of her job for the summer and all sorts of craziness. She lives far away from school and isn't very popular, she really only has one friend named Robbie who is a little weird. Long story short, she comes home one day and her little brother, who she loves, has been replaced by a changeling. Her friend Robbie reveals he's really from the fairy kingdom and is in fact Puck from Shakespeare's Midsummer Night's Dream and he's been charged by Oberon (king of the seelie court of the fairies) to protect her. Turns out she's the daughter of a fairy king! So she goes there trying to find her brother but then realizes there's something huge that's attacking the fairy kingdom and it has kidnapped her brother too! Adventure ensures... yadda yadda yadda.... Oh yeah, and there's a hot prince that helps/is a dick to her along the way.

My reaction: I honestly wasn't blown away by this story... The beginning was really slow, so much so that I almost put it down. But after she got to the land of the fairies, things sort of picked up. I love that Kagawa is true to the maliciousness of the fairies, because that's how they really are in legend. She's obviously done a lot of work on this to make it realistic (yes, in my world, fairies are realistic). Once we meet Ash, the unseelie court prince, it starts to pick up a bit. I never really liked Puck, he seemed fake.

So I made my way through Meghan's story and it really had a lot going for it by the end. The plot was very imaginative and I really enjoyed the idea as a fantasy enthusiast. I like that Meghan really became a sort of kick ass chick and saved the world and all that, and the chemistry between her and Ash was well done. But by the end, I have to admit that I was resolved it wasn't good enough to read the rest of the series.

But then I read a review from a guy that had similar tastes as me who said this series was his absolute favorite. What had I missed? Which is why I am now in the middle of The Iron Daughter (#2 in the series) and it is fabulous so far. I don't know what happened, but Kagawa suddenly understands her characters much better!

So should you read it? Definitely! As I said, push through the beginning and it redeems itself. Besides, you need to get through this one to get to the awesomeness of the second book!

No comments:

Post a Comment