Mortal Instruments City of Bones

Blurb on plot: Clary, the leading lady, witnesses what she thinks is a murder in a club in New York City where she lives with her mother. Her dad died when she was little (or did he?) and her mother is way overprotective. She essentially figures out that what she witnessed was these other hot youngsters killing a demon. In fact, because she can see them she finds out that she is a demon hunter as well. Her mom gets kidnapped and there are some demon fights and obviously she falls in love with the guy that does the killing, leaving her best friend (who happens to be a nerdy guy) to pout frequently.  

Review: My first reaction to this book is meh. I know that we have to have these things to keep young adult audiences happy, but is it too much to ask for a writer that really stands out? Don't get me wrong, this is a great idea for a story! The plot was well thought out, except I felt like the ending was a little too quickly resolved. I worry sometimes that all editors are looking for is a crazy idea and the writing be damned. I have to admit that I struggled through some parts... I mean come on! I couldn't help it! And don't even get me started on the female teen protagonist that has to have a best friend that's a guy. What girl do you know of that only has one friend that's a guy? Yeah. Nobody. I swear, it's like the fifteenth YA book I've read with this element. I'm sorry, but any girl that has a best friend who is a guy is thinking about him in a romantic sense. It would never be the other way around. I think I would have just liked to see Clary kick a little more ass. I like my leading ladies in my YA fantasies to have some major butt-kicking power stored up in them. Jace just kept saving her over and over.
 ***SPOILER*** And I think the element of the incest thing was just too much. I don't care what happens in the other books... I just will never get past the fact that at one point they thought they were brother and sister and were still all over each other. Bleh. And they would never get past it either. Just saying.

So should you read it? Overall do I think it's worth taking a look at? Sure! It was entertaining, if only to see if Clary would eventually grow a back bone. Besides, don't you want to be able to say you know what it was all about when you see the movie? You know you do!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment