It's hard not to get excited...

I hope I'm not alone when I say that I am hard pressed not to get really excited when I receive requests for my manuscript. I have to admit, my last book felt like an exploration into the writing world. I learned how hard it was to actually finish an entire novel and how to discipline myself to write every day to finish it. But I will be the first to admit that I didn't know much about plot development or characterization. Sure, I can write. I've always been good at that. But I wrote that first book without any idea of where it was going in reality.



I never understood how authors could say 'I let the characters take me through their story.' How can they do that? You created them, you ninny! But with this second book, I really honed my craft. I studied and read and read and studied before I attempted to do another one. I really knew my characters as people before I decided they were perfect for one another and crafting something that would throw them together. And in doing that, I was able to understand that the characters CAN take you on their journey.

And so I'm happy that this second time around I'm getting a little more of a positive response from the agent world. Queries are awful and hard and difficult, but when they ask to see a little more, you just can't help wanting to jump up and down. You are validated! Your idea, at least, doesn't suck!

Now to start that waiting game where they decide if your writing is crap. I think I'll send up a prayer to sweet baby Jesus to keep his eye out for my work. Like Jesus reads romance novels.

No comments:

Post a Comment